Russian photographer Elena Chernyshova spent several weeks in the city for her photo project:Days Of Night - Nights Of Day.This documentary project is aimed at studying the human adaptation to extreme climate, environmental catastrophe and isolation. The living conditions of the residents of Norilsk are unique, which makes them an incomparable subject of such research.
1. Norilsk is one of the most northern cities in the world with a population of more than 150 thousand people.elena-chernyshova.com
2. The average temperature is -10 ° C, and in winter it reaches -55 ° Celena-chernyshova.com
3. Norilsk has no ground communication with the rest of the world, which residents call the "mainland"elena-chernyshova.com
4. Every year for two months the city plunges into the polar night.elena-chernyshova.com
5. In Norilsk, almost half of the world's palladium is mined, so it ranks 7th in the list of the most polluted cities in the world.elena-chernyshova.com
6. At the entrance of this house a pipe broke through, and the water froze with ice stalactites, as if in an underground caveelena-chernyshova.com
7. About 100 thousand hectares of land have been burned out within a radius of 30 km. Because of ecology, nothing grows there.elena-chernyshova.com
8. Children can play outside only at certain temperatures and winds.elena-chernyshova.com
9. Typical residential building of Norilskelena-chernyshova.com
10. Houses were built very close to each other to create at least some protection from the wind.elena-chernyshova.com
11. In winter, even a small trip can turn into a whole expedition.elena-chernyshova.com
12. Such a bus convoy is needed so that people can evacuate the next bus following it, if the previous one breaks down.elena-chernyshova.com
13. The average winter temperature is -30 ° C, and the snowstorms last about 130 days a year.elena-chernyshova.com
14. Despite the difficult living conditions, the birth rate is higher here than in any other region of Russia.elena-chernyshova.com
15. And finally, a video about how severe the wind is in Norilsk. Still complaining about the weather in your city?